Frequently Asked Questions

This page contains answers to questions frequently addressed to the Courthouse Station Home Owners Association Board of Directors. If there's a question that you'd like to have answered or would like to add a question that's not on the list below, send the question (along with the answer, if known) via email.

Disclosure Packet

To obtain a Property Owners Association Disclosure Packet, obtain the Request Form from the property manager. 

Table of Contents

  • What are my yearly assessments and when are they due?
  • What services do my assessments provide me?
  • Who makes up the board of directors?
  • Who do I contact regarding home improvements?
  • When are trash and recycling picked up?
  • What items can be included in the recycling pickup?
  • What items can not be included in the trash pickup?
  • Who do I contact regarding special trash pickups?
  • What's the policy regarding solicitors within the community?
  • Who do I call to to report vandalism or other suspicious activity?
  • What do I do if I lose my mailbox key or my mailbox isn't working?
  • How do I request a property owner's association disclosure package when I am selling my home?

What are my yearly assessments and when are they due?

The Homeowner Association assessment for 2018 is $1,320. The assessment may be paid in quarterly installments of $330 each due January 1, April 1, July 1 and October 1, 2018.  Please note the early payment discount period ended on January 30, 2018.

Courthouse Station HOA, c/o POA Management, P. O. Box 105007, Atlanta, GA  30348-5007.  Please allow AT LEAST 5 business days for processing at the lock box.  If mailing a check without a coupon, please allow additional time for manual processing.  Homeowners are urged to pay on-line at the web-site.  

Don’t forget to update your assessment payments if you are using an on-line bill pay service through your bank.  If you are having payments deducted from your account through HOA Bank Services, the payment amount needs to be updated and the payment authorization refreshed annually.   Since HOA Bank Services is just a payment platform, it will only deduct payments on the dates and in the amounts as you direct it.  It does not "know" that the assessment rate has changed and will not automatically adjust deductions. 

What services do my assessments provide me?

Assessments provide the following services:

  • Twice-weekly trash collection

  • Lawn care for the common areas and unfenced yards

  • Upkeep of common areas such as streets and sidewalks, basketball court and common area trees

  • Snow removal from streets and parking lots

  • Street lights

  • Association administration

  • Common area liability insurance

  • Newsletters and other mailings

Who makes up the Board of Directors?

The Association Board members are property owners who have volunteered to assist in running the Association. You are invited to contact any of the Board members if you have any questions or comments about the neighborhood.  You may send an email or you may leave a voice message with POA Management Associates. If you have an interest in supporting the Board by becoming a Director, please let us know.  Directors are elected at the general membership meeting held in November each year.

Who do I contact regarding home improvements?

If you plan on making any exterior improvements to your home such as replacement siding, windows, doors, shutters, roofing, fencing, exterior painting, or a deck addition, you need to submit, in advance, a written request for modification to the Architectural Control Committee (ACC) for project approval.

The following information should be included in your request: a description, drawing, picture or brochure showing the changes to be made. Include color samples, dimensions, and all information needed so the Committee can "visualize" your request. Permission is required by the Covenants to ensure that the overall appearance of the community is consistent and attractive.  You may reach the ACC via POA Management Associates at 703-938-8761 or e-mail at [email protected]  A blank Application Form for Exterior Modification can be downloaded and printed from this web site.

Homeowners looking for a contractor may reference the Association’s Homeowner Contractor Referrals (see the "Other Information" page).  While the Association does not provide references for individual contractors, this list includes the names and contact information for contractors who have received positive references from other homeowners in the community.

When are trash and recycling picked up?

The Courthouse Station trash collection and recycling program is summarized below. 

  • Regular trash is collected curbside in front of each home every Tuesday and Friday. Trash needs to be secured in cans.  64-gallon, wheeled containers are available; please contact POA Management if you don’t have one.   Food waste trash may not be placed out in plastic bags, paper bags or flimsy grocery bags. 

  • Recycling collection is every Friday. See the FAQ - "What items can be included in the recycling pick up?" for a list of acceptable recyclables. Please secure recyclables on windy days. 

  • Yard waste collections are made on Fridays (bagged grass clippings, bagged leaves, bundled tree trimmings which must be less than 4 inches in diameter, cut into 4-foot lengths and tied in small bundles or bagged), and bagged or bundled brush). 

  • All trash and recycling materials must be placed on the curb by 6:00 a.m. on the morning of the pick-up. 

  • Trash cans and recycling bins must be stored inside between trash pickup days. 

It is a violation of the Association rules as well as a disservice to neighbors to leave trash or special pick-up items out on the curb or in front of the house on days other than the pick-up day. This also presents a potential health hazard by attracting rodents and other pests into the community. 

What items can be included in the recycling pickup?



  • PAPERS:  Office paper, junk mail, magazines, catalogs, phone books, paperback and hardback books, paperboard used to make food packaging like cereal boxes, juice cartons, cardboard boxes, pizza boxes without grease, newspapers and ALL inserts.

  • METALS:  Aluminum cans, soup cans, aluminum foil, rinsed aluminum foil trays, empty aerosol cans, metal coat hangers.

  • PLASTICS:  ALL plastic bottles, jugs, or cups marked #1 – 7, rigid plastics, milk jugs, plastic coat hangers, wide-mouth plastic containers


The following items CANNOT be recycled:

  • No heavy metal pots and pans

  • No glassware/heat-resistant glass

  • No paper plates or napkins

  • No Styrofoam products or packing products

  • No light bulbs

  • No batteries

  • No ceramics

  • No clothing

  • No tires

  • No motor oil Containers

  • No plastic cutlery, forks, knives & spoons

  • No plastic food trays & cups

  • No wax coated cardboard

For a complete and extensive list of recyclable items visit the Fairfax County Government Department of Public Waste and Environment Services website.

Since the majority of yard waste in the community is related to the common area mowing, the following items will not be recycled but will be picked up at the curb by American Disposal if properly bagged or bundled as follows:

  • Bagged leaves

  • Bagged grass clippings

  • Hedge and tree trimmings only if individual limbs are less than 4 inches in diameter.  They must be tied in small bundles or bags and may not exceed 4-feet in length.

Recycling service is provided by American Disposal Services (703) 368-0500.

What items cannot be included in the trash pickup?

The following items are not allowed for disposal in the regular trash or the special pickups. Dead animals, paint, stains, construction or remodeling materials, propane tanks, manure, tree stumps, mulch, sod, dirt, stones, rocks, cement, bricks, poisons, dangerous acids, caustics, explosives or other dangerous materials or items too large or too heavy to be loaded into collection vehicles safely by American Disposal Service workers. Even though technically the trash company can take dried latex paint cans, they will not stop to remove the tops off the cans to investigate so please plan accordingly.

If you are not sure if an item is allowed, call ADS at 703-368-0500. For a more complete listing of how to dispose of Household Hazardous Waste and for the hours of operation of the I-66 Transfer Station go to this link for  Fairfax County Household Hazardous Waste.

Who do I contact to schedule special trash pickups?

Courthouse Station uses American Disposal Services (ADS) for all trash hauling. If you have a large item for the trash you will need to coordinate with ADS in advance by calling (703) 368-0500 to have this item picked up as a special pickup. Certain items are included in the HOA contract at no additional charge to the homeowner. They are: packing boxes of new residents; furniture; extra yard debris; mattresses; other large household items; ferrous metals/white goods such as stoves, refrigerators, washers, dryers, hot water tanks and other bulky metallic items.

All special pickups (which may not exceed two cubic yards in volume) will be collected at curbside on the 2nd trash collection day by appointment only and should be called into ADS at least 24 hours in advance. Appliances containing Freon must be certified Freon-free prior to removal. ADS can provide this service for an additional charge.

Items scheduled for special pickup may not be put out on the curb for pickup until after dusk the day before the pickup day.

What's the policy regarding solicitors within the community?

Solicitation is not allowed in Courthouse Station. Signs are posted at the entrance to the community. Solicitors who disregard the posted signs are in violation of Chapters 31 and 34 of the Fairfax County Code and should be reported directly to the police. You should contact Fairfax County Police at 703-691-2131. Unfortunately, newspaper solicitors are exempt under the Code. Please note that it is against the County law for anyone to solicit after 8:00 p.m.

Who do I call to report vandalism or other suspicious activity?

If you witness vandalism, suspicious activity or other types of non-emergencies, please contact Fairfax County Police at 703-691-2131. For emergencies, call 911.

What do I do if I lose my mailbox key or my mailbox isn't working?

If you lose your mailbox key or the lock isn’t working properly, contact the Vienna Post Office, 200 Lawyers Road NW, Vienna, VA or call them at 703-242-1393 in order to make arrangements for the lock to be replaced. They will do this at a nominal charge. Master keys are not available for copying.

How do I request a property owner's association disclosure package when I am selling my home?

Disclosure packet Request Forms are available on-line from the Association's property manager.  Sellers may also contact the homeowners' association property manager at (703) 938-8761 or via [email protected]  The cost of a package varies depending on form (paper or electronic) and delivery requirements.  By law, the manager has 14 days to provide a package; however, sellers can request an expedited package for an additional charge.  An expedited package will be available within 5 business days after receipt of a properly completed request form.